Monday, November 28, 2016

IR receiver + IR transmitter + RTC for Raspberry Pi

I needed an IR receiver for my Raspberry Pi which I use as an internet TV receiver with some custom program.  As expected, I could not find any IR receiver module that fits nicely in my favorite simple & discreet Rasperry Pi case which only exposes all connectors and GPIO.  A USB adapter was an option, but I did not want anything sticking out of the pi.  Solution: make my own.

The board is shaped so it fits nicely in the case.   Since there was plenty of board space left, I also put an IR transmitter and RTC (DS1308U)+battery in addition to the IR receiver.  The IR receiver and transmitter are connected to the standard LIRC GPIOs (GPIO18 for receiver and GPIO17 for transmitter).  The RTC is connected to the I2C bus, and is compatible with the DS1307 driver which is included in the current Raspibian Kernel.   All GPIOs used on this board belong to the upper 12 pins of the GPIO header so a 12-pin female connector can be used instead of a full 40 pin (SMT 40-pin female connectors are really pricey!)



  

  

The PCB is available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment